Saturday, February 14, 2009

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF!

Channel surfing at just the exact time last night, we tuned into Fiddler on the Roof! I've seen it twice on stage... nothing beats the heart pounding energy of live theatre--especially when Topal bellows out...deep from within his heart.... IF I WERE A RICH MAN and flings his arms up...dancing...but the movie last night, was every bit as entertaining. AND EMOTIONAL.

It's funny, how at different times in your life, you "get" certain messages from things. I remember in my late 20's seeing this on Broadway in New York... electrifying and energizing.... however, only appreciating the superficial.
Now, sitting in my tiny home, on the couch under an afghan with my family...it means more to me then any $85. ticket, did. Today, I have a much clearer understanding of what the Fiddler signifies. I didn't back then. I "get" the heart wrenching sadness of children disappointing you, coming into their own with their own ideas and opinions and the inevitable changing times and beliefs. No matter how hard we try as parents. And, I "get" the feeling of having your hands tied with governmental issues...although America is not that extreme. Yet. I "get" the fact....that in hardship...sometimes you just have to whistle the theme of the fiddler and keep moving forward.

The movie gave me an opportunity to enrich Tommie's thinking. A chance to see life inside a small Jewish village, traditions and different beliefs. Although, not as profound as mine. That's something he will need to acquire on his own..from his own experiences and life lessons. Hopefully, he will "get" the depth of life's wisdom on his own someday. But, for now... it was a gentle introduction to the good, kind hearted Jewish people in Russia.

I love this weather vane. Sunrise. Sunset.



2 comments:

  1. Fiddler on the Roof is one my my very favorites! I knew the songs by heart once upon a time. Maybe I still do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiddler on the Roof... I haven't watched that in years I may have to see if my parents still have it!

    ReplyDelete