Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Today, I got this bright idea...to head to our local nature center and recreate a fraction of the journey Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery made. It was rainy. Cold and damp. And, muddy. And wet. But, I knew the trails and river walk, would be welcoming for explorers like us! And, lend a lot of different elements to the unit we're going through.

First things first. Lewis and Clark had to go to the Tim Horton's drive-through for a couple of Hot Chocolates!

Here's a bunch of snaps of things we saw! I thought the coolest was this flaming orange lichen...growing on a branch!


Wet and muddy...but we pressed forward...pretending to carry our keel boats and homemade canoe...which we covered in Elk Skin (it's suppose to float better)...but it doesn't...according to our study.


Here's something you can't go through life, NOT knowing... Sacajawea nickname? Know what it is? It's Janey.



My feet didn't get wet. But, my blindly obedient son..the one who totally does what ever I ask... without complaining or comments...(I'm being sarcastic!) refused to wear his snow boots. His feet were soaked. And, he made the childish mistake of telling me... my answer to him? "Well, that's how you learn!"




We counted a total of 37 deer! And, 3,000 turkey's. Okay, maybe not 3,000...but at least two dozen! Here's just one of 3,000 foot prints we saw along the trail...
Could this be sap? Probably so! I bet Lewis and Clark flipped their coonskin caps into the air when they discovered this!


Tomorrow, I'll be pulling out a vintage Boy Scout Field book..and having Tommie- chart and learn about edible plants in the wilderness. You know, just in case this recession gets worse...we can always eat cattails, chicory and yellow lily pad flowers.








4 comments:

  1. 37 deer! Wow! That path was WET, too, eh? Your nature stuff always sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you two had a great time! I can't wait to get out of the house...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've found a kindred heart. :) Hi! I noticed some visitors coming from your blog, so I had to come see who you are! Thanks for putting me on your blog roll! I love the Lewis and Clark thing. We did that during the 200th anniversary--when was that, 2002 or something? We made leather (fake) journals and made a little trading post and hiked and mapped our local forest preserve. I even got some adult friends to surprise the kids in the woods, pretending to be Indians. They got a big kick out of that!!

    So, I love your heart, your attitude, and your school. I'm going to link to you on my blog too. Nice to meet you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always welcome to come by Kings Mill Meadows someday when you need an outdoor adventure!

    ReplyDelete