Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This week, we're spending three days on Easter Island... in the South Pacific. I got the idea from a reading comp., workbook page that I found. Since, I had never learned about this remote island..owned by Chile..and its oh-so creepy and mysterious...I thought this would be a perfect adventure to dive into. To explore. Something different then what we've been doing. Isn't homeschooling great? If you're burn out of learning/teaching about the Revolutionary War...you can set your sails south... take a break and go into uncharted territory!

Here's one happy kid. We've got the globe. The table map. A bag of pretzels. A few pencils. And the Venn diagram. I am requiring this precious tween-ager to write a three-day diary of "my journey to Easter Island." He is smiling...because he's actually writing about the cannibals and how he "thinks they probably used blow guns a lot." Oh, I'm sure they did. Only a homeschool family can get away with discussing blowguns at great lengths and the different gross stuff you could blow through them

Here's the poster, with a Venn diagram that Tommie worked on. It has artwork- using oil pastels, vocabulary words, a map and lots of comparison facts. You know, it really is quite an interesting island. And, the statues are amazing...they say, all but one face inward. One of the websites I used for such detailed information is: Easter Island. If you scroll back up and look at the actual statue...they say about 20 feet of it has been dug and buried beneath the land.
Tommie is still pressing on with his Presidential study. He's on Abraham Lincoln. You know in Abe's speech, where he says, "Four score and seven years ago?" Well, I didn't know how long a score is? Do you? It's 20. Geesh, what else didn't I learn in public school?

1 comment:

  1. Easter Island would make a fun study! I love what Tommie did with the Venn diagram. Neat-o!

    ReplyDelete