Sunday, August 16, 2009

In one week, we'll be starting our homeschool lessons. I don't have a mountain of textbooks. Nor do I have a stack of black-lined fill-in-the-blank busywork books. No, I'm not knocking those who have kids that thrive on it. Those are simply not effective for my son's learning style. One more good reason, I choose to home-educate. Freedom to choose.

I have two books this year for our curriculum. Okay three, if you count Story Starters by Karen Andreola... which I'll use as a fill-in.

We'll be using Horizon's 6th grade math. Horizon Math has served us very well for the past five years and has never let us down. Considering a spiral approach to math? This one rocks!

The second book in our homeschool is, the Newberry winner, The 21-Balloons. After skimming the book, it no-doubt will take us on weeks of rabbit trails! I'll use it for geography, language arts, history, science (much!), spelling and lots of vocabulary and art. And, plenty of computer researching. As we get going with this... I'll be posting our activities... so stay tuned.

For the first time ever... my babe is ready to start back to school. Can you say.... "ready for structure?"

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Sounds like a fun year already! I look forward to hearing about your adventure. Don't you just LOVE Karen Andreola? I love the living books approach. I wish I could have learned this way. Guaranteed I would have actually remembered what I had learned in school. But it's fun learning all over again with my girls!

    Lisa in NW Arkansas

    ReplyDelete