Tuesday, August 24, 2010

yesterday, we started back to 7th grade homeschool lessons.
i've decided we would move forward homeschooling like we always have. with living books. i just can't imagine any other way, for us. i did consider purchasing computer curriculum to cover all subjects. but, can't phantom having my son plugged into the computer all day. i did step up to the plate and purchase, teaching textbooks math 7. which is, computer based.
the past couple of days, we've just eased back into it....
here's a little of what we did over the past couple days:
- 4 lessons in math
- tommie read: jacques cousteau short bio.
where spelling words, science and vocabulary words, handwriting were pulled out.
-project and poster on nitrogen narcosis (rapture)
-edited tomi de palo's children's book, "pancakes for breakfast." the book is wordless... i required tommie to write the storyline. he did swell.
-watched the agricultural documentary, "corn king" and "food, inc."
yep, i'm counting it as science and economics.


3 comments:

  1. What a great start back to school!!!
    I am curious as to how the 2 of you are liking teaching textbooks. We have used Horizons and Abeka in the past. Trudged through Saxon for several years now, but, we are entering Algebra I this year and we are both in need of something else. Have you heard of Life of Fred??? I am looking into that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karin...

    Yes, we're both liking Teaching Textbooks. We've been a die-hard Horizon's user, through elementary. It's user friendly. Today, we were short on time (due to me working at the Farmer's Market), so, I required my son to do three lessons-- sometime today. He did so, without hesitation (yeah!). Tomorrow, I'll require three more lessons. I love the fact that he'll have done over a weeks worth of math, in just two days.

    Yes, I've heard about Life of Fred... I've heard really great things about it. I'd love to learn more...

    Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog...

    Your Pal, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Molly's Econobusters Freebie Friday Post...

    Just incase you might be interested

    The National Shooting Sports Foundation is offering a FREE Firearms Safety DVD Set and Conservation DVD Set to educators. This offer is available to U.S., U.S. territories, AA, AE, AP and Canada, while supplies last.


    http://www.nssf.org/requestForms/safetyDVD.cfm

    http://www.nssf.org/requestForms/ConservationDVD.cfm

    ReplyDelete