Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Henry Hudson, Russian Art and Charlotte Mason ideas, that work!

This week, our homeschooling is taking us on a journey with Henry Hudson, Arctic explorer! It's fitting, since our weather is very similar to what he incurred. We're heading into this project using the Charlotte Mason method... which is very simple....yet, extremely productive. I'm only telling you this, because my son is and never was workbook-driven. So, I had to find what worked, effectively and efficiently with retention! That said, yesterday...he read chapters 1-3, charted the courses of the expedition and discovered new things about the Hudson Bay... including four new vocabulary words that I pulled from his reading. For spelling, he wrote good sentences and different punctuations, used a thesaurus, and orally diagrammed the sentences.
Have you used a periodic element chart? We don't use it as often as we should. Actually, to be honest...hardly ever. Today, we did.... we learned about the different minerals found in Canada and around the Hudson Bay. I then had Tommie make a list of the minerals and document the abbreviation and number. I'll quiz him on them throughout the week...orally! If you need a free printable chart...click here: periodic table of element chart.


Above is his spelling list... using this repetitive method...of working with the same "living book words that is in his reading book"...he has been able to master about 40 to 50 new words each week. Believe me...I'm not boasting or bragging... my son was a LOUSY speller. It was painful and frustrating! Oh, many times that Spelling Power book went flying across the room...by both of us! Just being real here. Again, I am grateful to be homeschooling...so I can find a method that works.
Using the spelling words above... today he added prefixes and suffixes, divided them and used either an "a" or "an" in front of the word, where needed.


Yesterday, we did a bit of Russian abstract painting...using condensed sweetened milk and food coloring. That's it. I opened two cans...poured them into 7 bowls and we mixed colors. Using a paintbrush...we made concentric circles. I wish you could see this in person! It dries like plastic! These are so very awesome...I'm thinking of framing them!

You need to try this!!!!! It is so simple! We want to make more!











4 comments:

  1. I'll have to say that these were really cool!... and they didn't smell lol! So what are your favorite CM resources???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing stuff! I am glad to see your twisted homeschool blog is going on!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will be doing some art stuff the next couple of weeks. We are going to visit the Cleveland Museum of Art the beginning of Feb. Thought I'd pull in your art project.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete