Monday, January 19, 2009

Inauguration plans?


Just flip on the news...and you'll agree, the media is having a field day over this historical inauguration! Without a doubt, I say this with a smile, wink and nod...this truly is a big event in our history! Whether I think he's the best thing that's happened since sliced bread or I'm doing the tongue-in-cheek thing... as a homeschooler, I have the opportunity to provide history in the making, by flipping on the t.v. tomorrow and having internet access. I am also obligated to keep my attitude in check. If I sneer and make sly comments, my child will learn from it. If I bash the Republican party and blame everything on them....so too, will my child. Thankfully, we as homeschooler's can steer our sails in the direction we see fit...what works for you, your family and beliefs.
That said, tomorrow's events...are truly an unschooler's dream! Here's a peek at our plans.... feel free to use them or send me a question or comment or additional link.
check out these sites if you plan to participate:
Inauguration Parade Map (I plan to use this for fantastic map skills! I'll be making up a worksheet on it, later today!)
Gatsby's Tavern Where George Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe frequented....(we'll be heading off for dinner in Virginia and I'll be making a solid lesson in math skills, where we'll use this menu.
On-line treasure hunt! This is a VIRTUAL TOUR! I'll be making up a homemade on-line treasure hunt...using this link. Example: click on map 06, what did Samuel Morse do in the old Supreme Court? Or who was sworn into office and what year? (this answer is in the first paragraph).
I'd love to hear what your plans are! Shoot me a comment!

3 comments:

  1. You might enjoy this site Michele.
    http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/44.president/inauguration/speechlibrary/index.html

    Heather W

    (who really can't decide whether she wants to make much ado about this inauguration. I'm not feelin' yet...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't generally include much current events study in our lessons. Whether that's good or bad, that's the way it is. We'll likely ignore the inauguration. We do pray for our president, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first Inauguration I've sat through in a Long Long time.
    In fact, I don't know how long. I remember sitting with my family always listening when the President spoke (in the 60's). By the 70's, we had completely stopped. I really don't know why.

    So our school today was watching the Inauguration. Not that he was necessarily who I voted for. I wanted to really hear what he had to say & then see if he will keep his word. It was heart-breaking to me to see some of the past Presidents, who have aged so very much.
    It was also, humbling knowing I have a nephew who is part of Marine Helicopter One. Wondering what his thoughts are, etc.
    Blessings,
    Michelle@JourneyHome

    ReplyDelete