Sunday, February 1, 2009

Nature Study from inside!


Nature Study from inside? It can happen! For us, I feel that I owe it to myself and my son (and husband), to just stop what I'm doing for a few minutes to identify and share! But, then again...I'm all about those free teachable lessons that can last a lifetime.... here's our story:
Most every afternoon this past week, this beautiful....I mean beautiful red-shouldered hawk, has been sitting on top of our bird feeders (even leaving his imprint in the snow!), and get this...he's just 5 feet away from our windows! He's perched up very confidently.....waiting to gobble up a chickadee or another small bird! Each time I try to snap a picture of him... my motion scares him off... this picture is from my favorite on-line bird site: CORNELL ORNITHOLOGY! where you can actually hear the sounds the birds make! I have to tell you, this bird's markings resemble a pheasants! Just gorgeous! While I hate the thought of some naive chickadee innocently flitting around the feeders...oblivious to her future... I do realize the food chain must go on! Have you seen anything new this week in your neck of the woods? If so, leave a comment and post a link to your blog!

1 comment:

  1. I bet that hawk is awesome to watch (as long as it isn't eating, LOL). As for us, we enjoyed the WARM WEATHER today (yes, warm meaning 36 degrees, and the sunshine was gorgeous!) We stacked wood to prep for colder days while the kids made a snowman. The "nature" we saw was our goofy standard poodle running through the snow, delighted with the nice weather, and loving our company outside:)

    ReplyDelete