Thursday, February 26, 2009

Today, found me wondering about this thing we call education? No doubt, each family has to define what it means to them.... but, I really wonder which road is best, sometimes? Will my son fail because he never had homework? Will he be a success because when he didn't get something...I figured out a way so he would? Will he fail in life, because he never held a textbook in his hands? And, never strapped a backpack on? Or will he soar, because he only used living books and had chores every morning while the buses smoked by? Ummmm, I guess only the big guy upstairs knows the plan he has for him. I can only add salt.

Sometimes, I sprinkle on the salt with media education! Yep! I really always have. There are just so many wonderful educational videos out there! And, channels, too. Last night, we watched a dvd, that Brandi loaned us... Master and Commander, the far side of the world. In fact, our Michigan History teacher recommended it. I was glad Brad watched it with us- it was a bit over our heads...Brad was able to intercept. It certainly was well done.

I subscribe to PBS'S on-line t.v. schedule..it's sent right to my email. We've watched so many worthy educational shows and movies! Click here to sign up for the free schedule!

We also enjoy the History Channel ...listed on my sidebar. They too, can send you a schedule.

Yesterday, we went to a local Youth Theatre, with our homeschool group. Which consisted of just one other family. Besides the homeschooler who was in the play. The theatre was so very cozy. The play, Tuck Everlasting was awesome. Better then awesome! Phenomenal. There were a couple of school bus loads of children in the theatre, too. I was happy to see them out of the brick and mortar walls. You know...out in the real world! They all seemed to love being out, too!

Today, I needed someone to call. Someone to say...just relax...he IS learning.
You see, I had this great little one day unit on salmon and learning about rivers. Oh yes, Tommie was going to ENJOY and LOVE learning about estuaries, gorges, deltas and tributaries! I just knew this would be quality education- according to Holly...(smile, wink, nod!). Why.... I had a poster out, colored pencils, a good book... yeah, I thought, this is good! I even had a few vocabulary words for him to look up and identify... about salmon: spawn, sperm and red blood cells.


Instead...he decided to rewire his dad's semi lights. He made several samples of different battery operated -wire connected lights. Hauled them in the house. Tried and tested various batteries. And, hot glue gun.

I'm standing with the colored pencils. I looking down at the poster board. Thinking...what about delta's?

At this point, I wasn't interested in being an authority figure and commanding him to obey my schedule... I clenched my jaw...took a deep breath and let his interest lead him. When he was finished, he did complete the poster board and river terms. But, on his own good time... not when I cracked the whip. And, it was pleasant for both of us.

For our homeschooling, I find that, "when the student is ready... the teacher will appear." And, isn't that true for us adults? If we were forced to learn something exactly at 11:10- and we really wanted to complete a project...how would we feel?

Well, it's something to think about anyway.





3 comments:

  1. I wish we could have gone to the play. It just wasn't in the budget this month.

    I love the way you depicted yourself standing with your colored pencils in hand. Tommie is blessed to have a mom who understands his learning style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your educational journey is blessed. I definately agree with Lisa and that you have Brad around to share in the adventure is priceless.

    I must say though that humans will learn regardless, some faster, some slower. Children in public schools are not forced to learn, they want to just like any other kid. It is a genetic, instilled trait in us that in order to survive we must learn. But talk to my husband about being forced to learn. For his work he has had to master difficult software and engineering issues under tight time restraints in order to solve problems for clients and make a living. Money is the ultimate reward but there is also a personal satisfaction of conquering what at first seemed impossible. Although it is wonderful to learn at our own pace we also must acquire grace under pressure. If your checkbook balance is off you better figure out in a hurry what went wrong before more things go awry, you can't wait until you feel like it. Well, I guess you could but then there's more ____ to clean up later.

    I know in my own homeschooling it was always easy to say well, we'll just do this later, forget about it for now but I don't think that sent a good message to my kids and I am now seeing the results of that. I take responsibility since I set the standard but feel that structure and responsibility are needed now and I need help to implement it.

    --done rambling for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed Michele you must have that quality education ;) And why is it that somedays it's easier to just let learning happen than others, I mean somedays I can see them creating and learning on their own and leave them to it and other days the old school marme steps in and says "we need to do this now!" I guess there's always room for improvement!

    ReplyDelete