Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The past couple of days, we've been using Five in A Row's unit study, "Grass Sandals." It's about the travels of a 17th Century Japanese Poet who walks across Japan! Tommie and I both needed a a break from American History. And, this is one of the few books we have left to cover with Five in a Row. Like all of their units, this one is refreshing and gives you an exciting peek into a different world.

One of our lessons is learning about the Milky Way! Which led to learning about The Black Hole, which led to our spiral galaxy....which led to... okay, you get the idea of how much fun unit studies can be! I pulled out Apologia's Astronomy and we just rolled with it.... Instead of notebooking, I'm having Tommie create a big poster of what he understands.


I've never taught Haiku in our homeschool. But, this week...we're diving into it. I'm surprised that Tommie actually enjoys it... I thought for sure, he'd groan and moan and try to weasel out of it. I'm having him write a poem each day and I hope to make it into a little keepsake poetry book at the end of this week.
We'll see....


2 comments:

  1. I remember enjoying writing haiku, and I'm not really a poetry kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michele, my name is Kristi Gesink and I work for the Homeschooling Company Alpha Omega Publications. I noticed after reading through your blog that you use our Horizons Curriculum to teach your son Math and Geography. We would like to say a big thank you for mentioning our company on your blog and we would appreciate it very much if you would add a link to your favorite Homeschooling Links to our site at http://www.aophomeschooling.com. That way your readers can check out your curriculum with just a click!

    Thanks again and if you have any questions or comments please email me at kgesink@aop.com.
    Have a wonderful day!

    Kristi Gesink
    AOP

    PS Loved your comment about fractions...I totally agree!!

    ReplyDelete