Saturday, April 4, 2009


Appalled, shocked, humiliated, livid and helpless....is what I felt last night.
You see last night, we went to a local variety-comedy show at a local high school. The cast were local business and professional people...who put on a very good show...so I was told. We went with the in-laws and niece and nephew from Illinois. Sat right in the front row....good seats. The entire auditorium was jam-packed. No sign of recession here.
The constant flow of political jokes, the slamming and belittling the government, illegal immigrants, making fun of consumer products, cutting down neighboring outside communities and mocking local citizens..... was not my idea of humor... in fact, call me stiff like the queen of England- but I was hard-pressed to even force a smile. I was the minority. The majority of people whooped it up and laughed uncontrollably. Pathetic. Pitiful. Just having a good old time at the expense of others.
The worst part is yet to come.... one of the female characters, a middle aged lady kept messing up on her lines. Not a big deal. She handled it well and had good come backs...or so I thought. She mixed up her verbs...something like replacing were with was or vice-versa. It sounded really slang...haven't we all done this and caught ourselves? Well, I have.
So, she turns to the audience and shouts, "GEEZE, I'M TALKING LIKE ONE OF THEM HOMESCHOOLERS!".... and then the audience clapped, roared and cheered. Including my in-laws. All of them. They all leaned over looking at ME! Tommie's jaw dropped. My eyes were wide open like coffee cup saucers! Then, if that wasn't enough...she had to say it AGAIN.... "I'm talking like a HOMESCHOOLER!"...AGAIN, the audience loved it. She then turned to the audience and shouted proud and loud..."Did I tell you I am a public school educator? And our school district is the best around???"
After things settled down... I couldn't concentrate on the rest of the show. I felt heavy. Like I couldn't breathe..sort of felt like I was carrying the cross for every single homeschool mom I've ever met! All of them. All of you who are sitting reading this NOW. All the mom's who have sacrificed most of their adult lives and devoted themselves to raising good children and creating wonderful future generations... all the hard work, day after day...struggling at times and pressing on. Yep, that cross was heavy, last night.
I admit, a million things were ping-ponging in my head. How, I'd like to march right up to her and give her the what for and how come! I easily could of went backstage...the door was very near my front row seat... oh, how I wish I could of gotten "even" with her. Teach her a thing or two. Give her my two cents. Even thought I'd mention she could stand to loose a few pounds and get a new hair-do. I wondered when the last time she read her Bible was? You know, the do onto others rule? The Christ-like spirit that Christians strive for?
But I didn't.
Instead, I said a couple of quiet prayers for her and for the audience. One for forgiveness and grace. By the end of the show... my inner voice...God... had validated my homeschooling choice, yet again. It became very clear to me that this public outbreak from an educator, winning the audience over with sarcasm and humiliation...is in fact the very reason I don't put my child in an educational institution. How and why would you want to send your innoncent child into a classroom for 7 hours a day with someone like this? It's no wonder that kids today are rolling out of schools with negative attitudes... seeing the glass half empty and such extreme liberal thinking. Not all...but probably more often then not...educators have such control...such an influence on children. Truth is, I think it would be utterly awesome if all schools across the nation... had a manditory "Kindness" class, for just one hour a day. Now, wouldn't that be something?
Walking out to the car...my son said to me, "mom, what that lady said about homeschoolers, was so insulting!"... My 11 year old, homeschooled son knew better. "I know Tommie... forgive her, for she knows not what she does."
exhale, smile and rise above it.

6 comments:

  1. Michele, you're a much better person than I! I would have stood up and yelled something really sassy right back at her. Then prayed for forgiveness (and for them), as I slunk from that place and to the parking lot. ;-D Maybe even spend the rest of the show designing a creative homeschool-style sign out of twigs and lightening bugs stating, "Proud Homeschool Mom" to be held up from my front row seat. Okay, maybe not. But I sure would giggle on the inside thinking about it!


    Jen Varberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like Jen V's sign idea, LOL! I felt that way when I watched the movie Horton Hears A Who. Although it was a good movie with a message, the kangaroo mom character ruined the movie for me. Towards the beginning, she said something like, "well, my son is pouch schooled" in a highly snobbish way. Anything she said or did after that felt like a personal commentary on homeschool moms (my interpretation). I was probably being overly sensitive, but it really bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a list of their current board members on their myspace page http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=418518945 or if you can't access it there go to their main myspace page at: http://www.myspace.com/lapeerkiwanis
    It also says in their who'd like like to meet: "We are looking for dedicated individuals who want to serve the children of Lapeer. The Lapeer Kiwanis Club is continually monitoring and assessing the needs of local children. Our intent is to help as many kids as possible, so we endeavor to support groups or organizations rather than individuals."
    Apparently the children they serve doesn't include homeschooled children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that happened to you. I feel for you, but handled it well. The proof will be in the pudding later on...
    blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. You handled that very well! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michele, you did handle it well. I felt the emotions you described just reading what you wrote. I can only imagine BEING there. I agree with you. I don't like that kind of humor at all.

    Hugs to you. Your friend,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete