Wednesday, April 22, 2009


Yesterday, we got this bright idea to make a homemade minnow net! I printed off a 40% coupon for Joann Fabrics....(just google Joann Fabric printable coupon) then Tommie and I sauntered into the local Joann's store. He decided on this neon green netting. And, really pushed to use my sewing machine. I have no problem with that..except, I honestly can't sew. I don't even know how to thread the machine. So today, after math and spelling... Tommie sat down to "teach" himself.

He didn't have much luck...so we decided to outsource and bring in a tutor... my mother-in-law (below). She spent a good couple of hours explaining and gently teaching Tommie how to thread, do the thing with the bobbin and basic stitch. I stayed out of the way- I wanted them to have the memory. She has more patience then me. And, although the net looks pretty crude... he is proud. So am I.

I should add... Tommie's friend Riley "got to sew" the Boy Scout Patrol flag... Tommie was really impressed with his work... and that's really why HE wanted to give it a try. See why it's good to network? You can get really good ideas from each other!


Today, we also did a little unit on photosynthesis and trees. And, a notebook page on our 20th President... For copywork, he wrote a 3/4 page paper from the Audubon Society about American Crows. Did you know their beaks aren't strong enough to rip open roadkill? So...they have to either wait for another predator to come along and open it up, or wait for it to decompose. There ya go...I bet you won't look at a crow the same way ever again!

So, that was our twisted day today. I left out the really dull stuff, like alphabetizing his spelling words, sentence writing and grammar.

Off to shower and relax for the night.
See you tomorrow.

1 comment: