Tuesday, April 21, 2009


Well, the more I flipped through The Family Under the Bridge, the book we were going to use for our curriculum this week, the more I realized it may be more complicated then we need at this point in our lives. It has a French flavor, hence a lot of of French words and vocabulary... I think I may just use it for our next read-aloud. Instead, I found this classic by Rudyard Kipling, Captains Courageous. It is definitely boy-friendly! Rudyard himself, is an interesting author! He was born in Bombay and had a big impact on Scouting. We're using this book for spelling, grammar and geography... and vocabulary, too. What is a dory?
Handwriting,grammar and science... included copywork from The Audubon Society. I had Tommie write a letter to my cousin, who is passionate about birds, telling her about how the European Starling became populated in America. Do you know how? Well, you can thank William Shakespeare and his many mentions of birds in his plays! A group in the 1800's released a 100 of them in Central Park, the group's purpose was to populate Northern America with the birds. Thanks to them, there are now 200 million Starlings living here.
Cursive handwriting was Luke 11:9 today.
We also did a short unit on Acid Rain, the importance of rotating crops.
Math was uneventful. Which is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I had David read Captains Courageous last year. I bet y'all will get more out of it! The Family Under the Bridge is a great Christmas book.

    ReplyDelete