Tuesday, January 27, 2009

HUGO CABRET!


After an intense historical few days of homeschooling last week... I thought we'd keep the momentum up by studying Eli Whitney and his role in the Revolutionary War. Well...that's one of the beauties of home education... you're on your own watch, on your own path, listening to a different drummer, driving your own bus, steering your own sails! That said, I thought it would be ever-so-fun to read the very quirky, mystery of The Invention of Hugo Cabret! And, pull out lessons- the Charlotte Mason way... using this book instead. Doesn't the book look impressive? A whopping 530 pages! 284 or which are beautiful drawings...the other pages have only 1, 2 or maybe 3 paragraphs per page.
(We'll also be using the book FRANCE...to bring the story even more alive!... Hence, Hugo Cabret qualifies at this house as a living book!)
* I JUST HAVE TO TELL YOU... I WENT INTO THE LIBRARY ON SATURDAY TO PICK THIS BOOK UP... OUR LIBRARIAN, MRS. C., WHO IS VERY OUTSPOKEN (RIGHT HOLLY?) HANDED IT TO ME AND I QUOTE HER... "UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I HATED THIS BOOK. IT WASN'T GOOD AT ALL. I DIDN'T LIKE IT. UGHHHHHHH.... I HATE GRAPHIC NOVELS!"
I JUST SMILED AT HER AND SAID VERY SERIOUSLY AND SINCERELY..."THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME-- I'M GLAD TO KNOW THAT!" AND THEN I NODDED. AND, PRETENDED TO BE AN AIR-HEAD!


It's a 2008 Caldecott Award book! Steve and Jane Lambert, owner of Five in a Row, recommended this quirky novel on their website. If you'd like to learn more about the book- which is really something... click here: THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET WEBSITE! The website alone is a fun place!

Amazon.com Review Book Description:Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

Oh my...I just visited Craft Crow...see my sidebar and click on over... I am so in love with the Valentine Felt Heart Cookies...I think I'll be adding them to my to-do list!


4 comments:

  1. I could just see Mrs C saying that isn't she a trip! We actually have that book from the library too, just started it, that's for the website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, you are keeping me on my toes! Onto my book list this book is going! Thanks so much. I must have missed this one on the boards, though I do remember something about a graphic-intense book. Actually, this may have been it. :)

    What would I do without YOU?

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they should let that librarian go. I'd be glad to take her job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hugo Cabaret!! I read it last summer to review it before my son read it. I thought it was wonderful! Silly Librarian.

    ReplyDelete