Monday, January 26, 2009

Periodic Element game!

We've been using the Periodic Element Chart...quite a bit these days....I mentioned my thoughts on this a few posts back. This is a really nice chart...which explains the uses for each element and a really simple colored graph.
To make learning even a little more fun... and instead of workbook drudgery... I have Tommie take two die (dice), roll them and wherever they land, that's the element we learn about.

For my super-duper hand's on learner.....I whipped up a quick match-up game!


The picture below is upside down... here's how it works: Tommie lays down a row of elements: iron, silver,nitrogen, chlorine, iridium, etc., and my favorite ununtrium (which hasn't even bee discovered yet! How does this work???) Then I made another category: metal, gas or radio-active. Next is the periodic symbol, then number category and finally... a "used for" category! He then sets off to line them up in order. I let him use the chart "as needed" the first few times...but then we folded up the chart and tried it without.

This will be a great game for us...for review and to use over the next few years!



1 comment:

  1. Nifty nifty we haven't touched on this yet but when we do I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete