Saturday, January 24, 2009

Let it roll.............


Our 4-day homeschool week, centered around the Inauguration, and a couple of living books... Samuel's Choice- a heroic slave- whom George Washington befriended during the Battle of Long Island and also a historical living book by Jean Fritz, "John Hancock," President of Congress, signer and father of the Declaration of Independence and very, very rich man! I was able to pull out 33 spelling new words, map skills, historical info, copy work, dictation and something I've never done before...weaved in a little bit of creative arts! You see, after reading John Hancock.. I had Tommie gather up supplies...go into his room and film a movie about the book he read. He became John Hancock! Well, you can imagine how much fun this was for him! I mean...no writing...no book reports...mom not breathing down his neck...saying "dot your "i" "focus" ? He enthusiastically embraced this new idea of narration! Although, I did whip up a quick outline on things I wanted him to cover... King George, lime trees, the Boston Commons and so forth.
I was extremely impressed with his finished product. And, I don't impress easily. So, ugh... if you have a son like mine who just really loathes writing papers...yet, you want to know if he is comprehending what he is reading...then give this a try. Your buttons will pop of your shirt...you'll be filled with so much pride! That's a promise!
p.s. we also did a little chemistry-art project...we took a raw egg (actually two) cracked it open...using only the yolk and desired food coloring...mixed them together and painted.

2 comments:

  1. Just lovin' your ideas, Michele! I will definitely do the movie idea! What a great idea. I love the Charlotte Mason style and I really enjoy reading about how you incorporate it. I can't remember off the top of my head if you use Ambleside at all. I've been looking at it, and want to incorporate the book list, but I love having wings to fly off and do what I want to do each week! Maybe I can do both. I'm still reading.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete